Thursday, October 9, 2014

My Blog Title is Outdated




I've been thinking lately that I really should change the title of this blog. Trivial, I know, but it's been on my mind. I created this blog several years ago when I first got involved in the Secular Movement. As is often the case with many fresh-faced Dawkins-reading new atheist activists, I didn't know beans about philosophy. In fact, there was a point in my life when I actively argued that philosophy was generally useless in the age of science. It was, in my view, a good tool for learning how to think critically, but it wasn't exactly a viable way of seeking truth. 

Today, I can say definitively that I was wrong. 

When I first created this blog, I chose the name "The Humble Empiricist" because I clung to the belief that we can only accept things as true that we can experience and demonstrate in the physical world, particularly using the scientific method. Following several philosophy classes and numerous conversations with Michael and Garret, I have been convinced of the usefulness of reason in discovering the truth and the existence of non-material things, like virtues. I'm still a staunch advocate of the scientific method and empirical inquiry, but I feel as though the label "empiricist" is one that I've left in the past. 

The problem is that now, I've lost my catchy blog title. I'm bad at thinking of titles. Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I'm a philosopher and an empiricist. Empiricism isn't necessarily a denial of reason, nor of the necessity of reason. It's merely a claim about the necessity of experience; specifically for knowledge. So there might not be anything philosophically embarrassing about your title after all.

    Maybe you've just grown into the "humble" bit :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be civil. :)