Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dear Radical Feminists...


...stop giving feminists a bad name. Seriously. In fact, this message applies to all of those freedom fighters who fight so hard that they accidentally start fighting for the other side.

There's nothing wrong with pushing for women's' equality. There's still work to be done in that area. My own mother, who has been in a management position for most of my life, just recently learned that she was being severely underpaid for most of her career because of her gender. She got a raise to make up for what had been lost, but in the end, the loss was still a loss. We also have to remain steadfast in protecting abortion rights (yes, there are those who advocate banning abortion, even in cases of rape and incest). Not to mention all the places in the world where women are treated as second class citizens.

What I don't understand are those who assert that men are, by nature, "rapists" or "rape supporters". I also fail to see the logic in people who scoff at women who willing choose to hold more traditional roles. I mean, logic alone would tell you that liberating women involves giving them the liberty to be a housewife and mother if they want to be. You'd think that, as long as she wasn't coerced into it, wearing a hijab would be a fine decision for a women to make. Whenever I hear someone assert that "no one would ever willingly choose these things!" used in response to my questions, I can't help but be reminded of theists who claim that atheists must know deep down that there is a God. It's yet another case of the "I can't believe that everyone isn't just like me" syndrome.

Will you cut it out?

It's hypocritical to promote freedom and diversity, then expect everyone to be the same. This is not a difficult concept to grasp and it's something that both liberals and conservatives need to understand. I think we'd all be happier if we could just live and let live to some extent.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please be civil. :)